Data Sharing Archived Minutes

February 21, 2013

The committee has generated its strategic plan for 2013 (www.igic.org/committees/2013committeeplans.pdf).

August 16, 2012

The Committee has been meeting jointly with the Cadastre, Boundaries, PLSS Workgroup to work on the Tie Card Projevct. Allen, Noble, Gibson, Wayne and Marion County representatives volunteered to work on the County Boundary Pilot Project. The pilot project is being developed so that information gained will help to develop a best practices framework for the county boundaries of Indiana. Framework information and lessons learned will be provided to all Counties. The project goal is to create a County Boundary Framework that Counties can use to snap adjacent County GIS layers together.

June 21, 2012

The Committee met on June 5th and listened to a presentation by Lorraine Wright on the Tie Card Scanning Project and County Boundary Project currently underway by the Cadastre, Boundaries, PLSS Workgroup. Following the presentations the Committee discussed how to proceed with the County Boundary Project and idntified volunteers from county government to work with Lorraine Wright and Bob Mueller on creating a statewide county boundary map. Dave Estes (Allen County), Jason Howe (Gibson County), Shaun Scholer (Wayne County), and Steve Hook (Noble County) volunteered to work on a pilot of the new County Boundary Development and Maintenance plan. A subsequent meeting was to be set for the volunteers to work on identifying their County Boundary Project using the legal descriptions of the Indiana Acts.

 

April 19, 2012

The Committee met on April 3rd. Discussion included data standards, specifically, how do we standardize business rules and displaying information? Land parcels and administrative boundaries need standards guidelines, while keeping end-user needs in mind. Cadastral, Centerline, and Point Address data standards that were developed by IGIC need to be revisited. It was determined Counties need an overarching layer governing other layers; our group needs to work with other IGIC workgroups, surveyors, and others to help rectify our layers. An authoritative GIS County boundary layer is being created by the IGIC Cadastral, Boundaries & PLSS Workgroup. This is not a survey grade boundary, but a best available GIS representation of Indiana’s 92 County Boundaries.

A new Dropbox was set up for Committee members where meeting minutes, and results from the current County Data Harvesting results can be shared.

 

February 16, 2012

The Committee has developed a set of goals for the coming year. For 2012 the Committee will support Indiana’s GIO and work with Indiana Counties to complete the 3-year contract renewals for the IndianaMap County Data Sharing Initiative. The Committee is also being tasked with expanding sharing IndianaMap data with Esri, Google, Bing, Open Street Maps, OpenAddresses.org, OpenTopography, and others.

 

October 20, 2011

The Committee did not meet during this period. Chair Shaun Scholer discussed ideas for re-tasking this Committee at the October IGIC Board Meeting.

April 28, 2011

The Committee did not meet during this period.

February 28, 2011

The Committee did not meet during this period. For 2011, with the initial roll-out of the IndianaMap Data Sharing Initiative nearing completion, the Committee will be ready to take on the next phase of this critical project.

December 3, 2010

The Committee did not meet during this period.

October 21, 2010

The Committee did not meet during this period.

August 19, 2010

The Committee did not meet during this period.

June 17, 2010

The Committee did not meet during this period.

April 15, 2010

The Committee did not meet during this period.

Feburary 22, 2010

The Committee did not meet during this period.

December 3, 2009

The Data Sharing Committee has been surveying counties that have not signed the Data Sharing Agreement with the Indiana Department of Homeland Security. The intent is to confirm the correct GIS contact information for the county, inform them of the grant being offered by the state, talk over the benefits of the grant on a peer-to-peer basis, and to talk about the opportunity to share any imagery with the Indiana Spatial Data Portal.

The Data Sharing Committee has played an important role in reaching out to these counties, allowing the opportunity to confirm a positive relationship between the State Government in Indiana and local government officials.

August 20, 2009

The Data Sharing Committee has been contacting the remaining counties that haven’t signed the data sharing agreement with the State. The Committee members have been confirming contact information and asking a series of questions about the status/interest signing the agreement. The results of the survey will be summarized and reported to Phil Worral and Jim Sparks.

August 20, 2009

The Data Sharing Committee met on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at the IGIC office. In attendance were Phil Worrall, Kevin Holle, David Nail, Steve Hook and Shaun Scholer. Two topics were discussed: making contact with the counties who have yet to sign the State GIS Data Sharing Agreement; and secondly how to encourage people listed as contacts on the GIS Inventory site to update their information.

The committee decided to make contact with the 20 remaining counties to learn why they haven’t decided to participate. This information would help IGIC, Jim Sparks, and Roger Koelpin in future data-gathering efforts. The committee also discussed sending an email requesting the currently registered data owners to update their Metadata on the Inventory site. The committee also discussed ways of incorporating the inventory information into map files for viewing on the IndianaMap.

April 16, 2009

The Committee will participate in the initial planning stages for IGIC’s project the IndianaMap 2009 Data Sharing Initiative. The Committee will evaluate the results of the current Data Sharing Initiative and develop a strategic plan for next steps and potential funding.

February 16, 2009

The Committee gave input into data request letter sent by the State Geographic Information Officer (GIO). The letter asked county commissioners to participate in sharing local data with the State in order to build the IndianaMap. The Committee will participate in the initial planning stages for the IGIC 2009 CAP Grant, “Demonstrating the IndianaMap Data Sharing Initiative with Four Key Framework Data Layers.” The Committee will evaluate the results of the current Data Sharing Initiative and develop a strategic plan for next steps and potential funding.

June 19, 2008

The Data Sharing Committee has been working on gathering local county government business case studies to help document data sharing experiences. Another project of interest involves a review of APRA laws as it pertains to GIS data sharing. The Community Organization Legal Assistance Center as been contacted to see if they will be able to assist IGIC with an interpretation of the APRA laws. We are interested in learning how the APRA laws impact local government’s GIS data distribution practices. At our next meeting, we will be reviewing the business case studies and considering a request from the Ortho Workgroup to collect information on how much counties have generated in revenue over the last 10 years from their GIS data.

April 17, 2008

The Data Sharing Committee’s next conference call meeting is scheduled for Friday, April 18th. At this meeting, the discussion will include how GIS data is affected by copyright. The Committee will also review issues related to data sharing with local government, and discuss ways to increase communication between IGIC and local governments. Local data is seen as an important component of the IndianaMap project. The Committee’s main tasks will focus on local GIS data requests, and how to promote data sharing in a way that is beneficial to all. Finally, the Committee will review its role in establishing the Statewide Data Integration Plan and determine what activities lie ahead.

February 18, 2008

The Data Sharing Committee has recently been discussing a draft IndianaMap Framework Data Exchange Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). This document is still being reviewed and modified as necessary. There has been some discussion as to whether or not this document will be replaced with another data sharing mechanism. The Committee will be reviewing in future meetings topics that may inhibit the use of the data sharing MOU. Topics for consideration include:

  • Data distribution polices that charge fees for data acquisition
  • Whether or not GIS data can be copyrighted
  • Considering GIS data distribution as a service
  • Ways to promote education of data sharing issues among policy makers

The Data Sharing Committee is looking forward to the discussion that will take place at the GIS Conference regarding data sharing.

January 17, 2008

The year’s first meeting of the Data Sharing Committee was a planning session involving both co-chairs Steven Hook and Jill Saligoe-Simmel. Discussion focused on the need for a revision of the original Data Exchange Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). The Data Integration Workgroup’s project involving the integration of local county framework data requires a data exchange document to help facilitate collection. Therefore, first priority is the creation of a new data exchange document. The first draft will be discussed and reviewed by committee members for their comments and then presented to the IGIC Board for review. Other planned projects include 1.) Developing IndianaMap Data Exchange agreements based on the finalized framework data MOU, and 2.) Generating a Statewide Data Integration Plan by compiling content from IGIC’s Framework Data Workgroups, organizing the content into chapters, and making a formal recommendation to the State Geographic Information Officer regarding adoption of the plan.

July 19, 2007

The committee’s activities and objectives have been revised in response to the input from the strategic planning session in May. As a result, new members have come forward to work on the commitee. IGIC is currently seeking a new chair to lead the group’s revised initiatives.

March 12, 2007

Dave Nail, new chair of the committee, continues working to prepare for upcoming activities.

January 18, 2007

Dave Nail is stepping in as chair of the committee beginning in 2007. Monthly meetings and a direction for upcoming activities will be announced soon.

September 21, 2006

The committee has been assisting the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (DHS) compile information for the Ramona GIS Inventory. The information, which covers GIS framework data holdings in each of Indiana’s counties, will be used to determine funding allocations. Committee members have continued locating and contacting GIS personnel. Work will be completed next month.

July 20, 2006

The Data Sharing Committee’s previous goal was to create a summary letter identifying Data Sharing items and issues. Committee members submitted assigned items during the last meeting on February 16, 2006. A more time-sensitive project, however, was brought to the committee for consideration. Homeland Security (HS) requested help completing the Ramona GIS Inventory. The information in the inventory will be used for the HS Grant process. HS will be providing funds to county governments for specific GIS data. The Data Sharing Committee will focus on completing the contact information and framework layers. The goal is to have GIS contacts in every county.

March 6, 2006

Shaun Scholer accepted the position of co-chair, taking over for longtime member Jim Sparks. The committee has begun work on a paper – originally termed a position paper, then redefined as a summary or overview – outlining data sharing in the state. Each committee member is creating a summary for their area of interest or specialty. Target date for completion in April 19th.

The committee is also discussing ways to increase participation on RAMONA, the online data inventory tool, and closely watching the tie card scanning project.

November 17, 2005

The Data Sharing Committee co-chair, Jim Sparks, has resigned his position. The committee will be seeking a replacement for him. Thanks to Jim for his many years of hard work and valuable input.

September 22, 2005

The Data Sharing Committee did not meet this month, but will resume in October to continue working on a “Data Sharing Position Paper”.

July 21, 2005

The Data Sharing Committee is creating a position paper that comprehensively examines the issues related to sharing geographic data in Indiana. While the document is primarily targeted for public officials who are in a position to affect decisions about sharing data, it will be a useful document for anyone interested in understanding the full range of data sharing considerations.

The document will include examination of:

  • Benefits of sharing our data resources
  • Local (Indiana) experiences
  • The difference between download access and direct online access
  • Selling data as a revenue stream
  • Freedom of Information Act
  • Data Security
  • Confidentiality
  • Ownership and Copyright
  • Relevant Court Cases
  • Relevant Indiana Code
  • The Rand Report
  • Open GIS Data Consortium Documents
  • Sample Data Sharing Agreements

May 19, 2005

The Data Sharing Committee has identified a number of topics to be addressed at their meetings over the next few months, including:

  • Data clearinghouse: How do we improve the ability to find and use Indiana data?
  • There is an opportunity to provide education and promotion (marketing) related to “Why should I share my data?”
  • Per the new Indiana Information Access Counselor, new language is needed for the State/County data sharing agreement. We need to account for 1.) Non-restricted public data, 2.) Restricted data, and 3.) Protected data considered a security risk.
  • Data Sharing tract at the next state GIS conference. We would like to have a tract at the next conference that is dedicated to data sharing topics.
  • Sharing the digital orthophotography being produced from the statewide project. Storage and access to this important data asset are being considered by Indiana University, Indiana Geological Survey, and other organizations.

March 15, 2005

The Data Sharing Committee is currently reviewing the statewide Data Clearinghouse (accessible from the INGISI home page) for opportunities to increase its usefulness. We are also reviewing data sharing models across the country. Finally, we are looking at methods to track GIS progress at the city and county level by comparing key metrics across the state and over time

Speak Your Mind

*


*