Job Description: GIS Technician – West Lafayette – Office of Engagement – PCRD
Description: The person will work with existing staff to help create new geospatial data and develop the necessary metadata, to assist in adding these products to the Purdue Center for Regional Development’s online decision support system (i.e., Regional Decision Maker). These activities and products are intended to fulfill the requirements of several grants that have been secured by the Center in recent months.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in forestry, geography, technology, or in any baccalaureate degree program that provides in-depth training on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and data management systems.
- Excellent working knowledge of ArcGIS 9.3 or later.
- Ability to understand map symbology and work with map legends.
- Willingness to learn ArcGIS server and ArcGIS Flex Viewer basics.
- Experience working with large data resources.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of how to utilize large data products (such as the American Community Survey or other large federal, state and private data resources) to produce user-friendly products.
- Ability to create data maps that deal with a variety of demographic, economic and social attributes of counties and regions using ESRI ArcGIS Desktop software.
- Knowledge of how to use map services on ArcGIS server and use of these services to create web applications using ArcGIS Flex Viewer.
- Strong oral and professional written communication.
- Motivated individual with ability to efficiently multi task, work under pressure, handle interruption and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational and time/project management skills with emphasize on accuracy and attention to details.
- Ability to compile detailed and accurate data and statistical information; prepare clear and concise written reports.
- Capable of taking initiative, assuming responsibility and handling confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Valid driver license.
- Proficiency in software: ArcGIS, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook/Electronic email and calendar.
- Previous experience with ArcGIS server and/or ArcMIS, and Adobe Flash/Flex.
- Python programming skills.
- Knowledge of basic spatial analysis techniques.
- A background check is required for employment in this position.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible for Overtime).
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.