This position provides necessary and essential mapping and analysis services to the Division of Engineering and Asset Management through the utilization of the latest in spatial analysis techniques. In particular, this position directly supports the Roadway Inventory and Technical Planning and Programming Sections. The primary function of this position is one of data integration through spatial and tabular database analysis. This position will support section functions on various spatial tasks in support of divisional goals. This position at times is also tasked with assisting individuals from other Divisions that do not possess GIS expertise. This position also provides valuable GIS training as needed throughout INDOT.
- Conducts complex analysis of geo-spatial data for Geographic Information System (GIS) projects in response to user request (e.g., link existing systems that reside on various platforms, graphical queries, map overlay, project analysis).
- Assists & educates users regarding opportunities GIS technology affords to resolve resource management problems (e.g., provides documentation, tools & presentations/training to all levels of users/customers, write newsletter articles, creates/updates web site resources, establishes/updates standard queries);
- Coordinates with INDOT executive staff (e.g., Director, Assistant Director, Deputy Director), office managers, general staff, consultants, government agencies (e.g., IDNR, INGIS, IEPA, IDEM, ISP), & managers in response to user’s request for digital data & applications.
- Participates in development of macro-language program (e.g., Visual Basic, Python) for GIS operations to improve users products.
- Five (5) years full-time professional work experience in planning and conducting research studies using operational, mathematical, analytical and/or statistical research techniques and preparing reports, records and/or technical evaluations related to research conducted. Substitutions: Accredited college training may substitute for the required experience on a year for year basis with a maximum substitution of four (4) years. Accredited graduate training may substitute for the required experience on a year for year basis with a maximum substitution of one (1) year. An accumulation of fifteen (15) semester hours in business operations research, engineering, business, mathematics, statistics, computer or management science, or related area is required.
- Advanced knowledge of Geographic Information Systems(GIS) and concepts;
- Advanced knowledge of spatial analysis, transportation networks, and linear referencing with GIS:
- Experience creating databases and queries in Microsoft Access;
- Proficiency in data analysis, data mining and data manipulation is required;
- Ability to interpret and explain geospatial products to departmental leadership;
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes:
- Medical / Dental / Vision plans
- Health Savings Account available with Employer Contribution
- Prescription Coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employer-funded Retirement Plan
- Deferred Compensation Plan with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Account
- Work/life balance: 24 Paid Days Off and 12 Holidays, per year
- Group Life Insurance
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
To view the official job description and to apply click HERE.
If you have problems with this link go to: http://www.in.gov/spd/careers/. From the “Search all employment opportunities” page select the “Advanced Search” option and enter 600171 in the “Job Posting ID:” field and hit Search.