Position: Mapping Technician – Surveyor 4
The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) provides a dynamic workplace while serving Indiana citizens, improving quality of life, and enhancing economic opportunity. INDOT’s programs and projects – including Public-Private Partnerships, Green Initiatives, and innovative uses of materials and assets – offer exciting opportunities for transportation and engineering professionals looking to begin or advance their careers. INDOT offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, as well as work/life balance.
The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) Mapping Technician utilizes knowledge and principles of digital aerial imagery and techniques of Photogrammetry, in order to visualize computer data in a three dimensional format utilizing Photogrammetric software and specialized hardware, in addition to utilizing aerial and ground-based LiDAR data and imaging, for the production of digital mapping products for planning, design and construction purposes.
- Serves to assist with the production of Photogrammetric and digital mapping products in an efficient and cost effective manner;
- Utilizes agency software (currently Bentley MicroStation, InRoads, and Intergraph Geospatial Desktop Program) applications & specialized software products in the design and generation of digital mapping products; incorporates ground control data in the orientation of existing surface information;
- Obtains ground surface, structures and other spatial design data using CADD and other specialty equipment;
- Identifies and delineates features such as highways, bridges, buildings, sidewalks, etc. to compile DTM’s and create orthophotos;
- Assist in processing and extracting survey-grade 3D point cloud (LiDAR) data;
- Assists in the evaluation of new design software to determine the effectiveness and efficiencies of such software in the design and production of digital mapping products;
- Assists in developing new procedures to incorporate new technology, equipment and software as needed;
- Performs applicable quality assurance and quality control activities using various CADD equipment and software to ensure products meet design specifications.
- Additional mapping duties as required.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years experience in digital stereo compilation.
- Must have knowledge of digital aerial imaging and photogrammetric terms, principles, techniques and procedures.
- Experience using aerial camera systems and remote sensing equipment, including ground based, static and mobile LiDAR systems.
- Must be familiar in utilizing Bentley Microstation/InRoads or similar applications.
- Must be familiar with Geographic Information System (GIS) applications.
- Must have complete comprehension of manipulating aerial images utilizing specialized photogrammetric software and hardware to produce digital mapping products utilizing Intergraph Geospatial products.
- Must have ability to view computer data in three dimensional format in order to compile data and create Digital Elevation Models ( DEM ) and Digital Terrain Models ( DTM ), Ortho Photography, and Mosaics through ground control data, GPS coordinates and related technologies for the purposes of Preliminary Engineering and Design plans.
- Must be familiar with processing and extracting point cloud data.
- Must have excellent technical and communications skills.
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes:
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans
- Prescription Coverage
- Retirement plans
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Spending Account available
- Work/life balance
- Group Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, send resume to:
Ryan Miller – firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources, INDOT Central Office, State Personnel Department