The Polis Center is an applied research center of the Indiana University School of Liberal Arts dedicated to researching and applying geographic information technologies to real-world challenges. We work collaboratively with a diverse group of partners to build understanding of issues through creative uses of information technology, especially geographic information systems (GIS). Our motto is, “We bring things into perspective.”
Job Summary: The Polis Center at IUPUI is seeking a graduate student or exceptional undergraduate student to support the data analysis needs for a project that it is doing for the Georgia Emergency Management Agency. Project tasks may include:
- Applying GIS to analyze economic and social impacts on populations, buildings, and critical infrastructure related to flood, hurricane, and tornado hazards.
- Database editing, manipulation, and querying
- Writing risk assessment reports
- Quality control
This is a part-time position, approximately 20 hours per week. Work hours can be arranged around class schedules.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will have the following attributes and skills:
- Familiarity with multiple types of Esri data formats such as shapefiles, personal geodatabases, and file geodatabases
- Experience working with ArcGIS desktop application
- Experience with ArcMap Spatial Analyst extension is a plus, but is not required
- Experience working with LiDAR and DEM datasets is a plus, but is not required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2007 or later – particularly Word, Excel and Access
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Be able to work both independently and as part of a team
Compensation: $10.50–$12.50 based on experience
The Polis Center is located at 1200 Waterway Blvd Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46202.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Melissa Gona at email@example.com.
IUPUI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution.