Position: Geographic Information System Internship – This internship will be working within Municipal Government to utilize their GIS experience in mapping, analysis, and data management in a fast-paced work environment.
Reports to: Senior Planner
Hours: 20-25 hours per week; days and time flexible according to the student’s schedule and requirements for credit. The Town’s normal business hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Compensation: $8.00-$12.00 per hour, no benefits. Will work with intern to provide academic credit if applicable.
- Data creation, maintenance, manipulation and spatial analysis
- Read and interpret land use documents, legal descriptions, deeds, construction drawings, aerial photography, plats, maps and as-built drawings
- Utilize and compare datasets from multiple geospatial programs (i.e. Pictometry, Beacon, Google Earth, and ArcGIS)
- Identify and collect Town assets, using a handheld GPS device, including: utilities, infrastructure, geographic features, structures, etc.
- Create technical maps using ArcGIS, and display/presentation maps using Adobe In-Design and Illustrator
- Assist Sr. Planner in developing ArcGIS training program for non-GIS staff
- Currently enrolled in (or graduate of) a Geography, Planning, or Civil Engineering program or a related field
- Must possess knowledge and experience in ESRI ArcGIS software, including Arc Map and ArcCatalog; Adobe Illustrator, In-Design programs and GPS data collection equipment
- Must be familiar with basic GIS concepts, including but not limited to: data creation, data management, cartography and spatial analysis
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively with other staff
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally with all customers and staff
- Attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Must have and maintain, a valid Indiana Driver’s License, a demonstrated safe driving record, and must remain insurable through the Town’s liability insurance carrier
- Must be familiar with and able to use Microsoft Word and Excel
Interested and qualified candidates must submit the following information to email@example.com or to: Town of Brownsburg, 61 North Green Street, Brownsburg, IN 46112:
- Cover Letter
- Intern Position Profile
- Tell us why you think you should be selected as the 2016 Town of Brownsburg GIS Intern. Tess us why you are interested in municipal government and what knowledge, skills and abilities you have that may not show up on your resume. Please limit this profile to a maximum of two (2) pages.
- Three letters of reference;
- (i.e. work, volunteer, educational, etc.)